Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Humor and Fun at Work

Everyone says we are in a recession. I am sure "fun at work" or "humor at work" are not the topics of choice right now. Remember the key lesson in improvisation: you have to stay in the game. Yes, there will be challenges and obstacles. The easy answer is to quit. If you stay in the game, you might have to work harder, learn something new, or get out of your comfort zone. If we stay in the game, we are guaranteed success.

There are many things we cannot control. We can always control our attitude and how we react to a situation. Too many times we give this control to others. The result is frustration, stress and working without passion. Doesn't sound fun, huh?

Well, maybe a few laughs will help. First up is a story from the Portland (Maine) Press Herald. Matt Wickenheiser wrote a great article about humor at work. I think this is an important topic during the current economy. Mergers, layoffs, recession all can drain the fun out of work. What happens then? Where do we find our energy for our creativity, productivity and success?

The really cool thing about Matt's article is he asked a couple of the sources in the story to record a joke for the Press Herald's web site. I was thrilled to contribute. I told one of my favorites: The Green Gorilla joke. This joke was told to me by my 8th grade history teacher. Now, Matt doesn't set me up very well. I know he was trying to warn the listeners that the joke is kind of long. Yes, it is a long joke. Yes, the punchline is silly. Still, it is one of my favorites. The joke is also a very physical joke, and better told in person. So, keep that in mind.

Anyway, here is the link to the article and a link to the joke recording:

Article: http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=178953&ac=PHbiz

Joke: http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/news/media/april1st_biz.mp3

Finally, one more link. I was recently interviewed on the Fox Network. I am sorry to say I was not on Bill O'Reilly's show. I appeared on Fox and Friends Weekend about "recession-proofing your job". I had a great time.

A few points of interest as you view the link:

1. Watch me dart my eyes back and forth at the beginning of the interview. Uh, scary.

2. Count the number of times I say, "you know." Shameful.

3. Try to answer the question, "Why is Joel holding a puppy?"

Here is the link:

http://www.redlasso.com/ClipPlayer.aspx?id=e1b554cf-8396-407d-b243-a6a05646c702

Until next week, Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

No comments: