Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The Big Idea with Donny Deutsch



I haven't posted an entry in quite some time. The reason? I think I best explained my lack of new writing in my last newsletter:

November came and went and there was no newsletter. “It’s Thanksgiving,” I said. “Nobody needs a newsletter during Thanksgiving.”

December came and went and there was no newsletter. “It is the Holidays,” I said. “Nobody needs a newsletter during the Holidays.”

January started and my wife asked when I was planning to write a newsletter. “It is Bowl season and the NFL playoffs,” I said. “Nobody needs a newsletter during Bowl season and the NFL playoffs.”

And then my wife told me to get off the couch and write a newsletter, except she didn’t use the word “couch.”

I hope everyone has a wonderful 2008. And, I hope everyone had a wonderful Holiday Season. Okay, it is time we all get off our “couch” and get back to work. Here is the first blog entry of 2008.

First, this should be the first post that will have a feed on Amazon. So, if you stumbled on my book in the great big world of Amazon, I welcome you with the embraced arms of my blog link. For more information, check out the book's web site at http://www.maketherightchoicethebook.com/ or my speaking web site at http://www.joelzeff.com/.

Second, I recently appeared on the CNBC show, The Big Idea with Donny Deutsch. I had a wonderful experience on the show. I walked past Carmen Electra. Donny massaged my shoulders on the air. I ate vegetables in the green room. Yep, a great day.

You can see my interview with Donny here: http://www.cnbc.com/id/22902819

I also posted an entry on the show's blog: http://www.cnbc.com/id/22903025

The first part of show's blog is below:

The whole experience as a guest today was exciting, fun, energizing; and happened extremely fast. I have watched the Big Idea since it started because it really is the only show that captures the spirit, energy and ideas of the people who make business work in this country.



Every show is an eclectic mix of personalities talking about their passion.The show was kind enough to ask me to blog about my experience. So, I thought I would jot down a few thoughts and then include a recent article I wrote that will give some more details to the five points I discussed on today’s show.



1. One of the coolest aspects of appearing on The Big Idea is sitting in the green room before the show and talking to the other guests. It is very energizing to be in a room with people, just like you, who are passionate about their work and ideas. I spent most of my time talking with the Blender Guys and the team behind Just Between Friends. The Blender Guys have inspired me with their great idea using funny videos on You Tube to market their product. And, as a father of two children, Just Between Friends, is a brilliant idea. I can’t wait to get home and clean out my garage.



2. Bill Zanker (I think it was him) threw out the perfect new name for the Grill Charms. Stake Your Claim gets my vote.



3. At different times during my interview, I have no control of my arms. Many people suffer from this affliction during an interview. I am just the one pointing it out to everyone.



4. During the interview, Donny massaged my shoulders. Frankly, that small fact makes me feel very special. To put that in perspective, I was on the same show as Carmen Electra, and I was the only one to receive a shoulder massage during the interview.



5. Speaking of Carmen Electra, unfortunately I did not have the opportunity to meet her. We did walk past each other in the studio. I am not sure, but she was probably thinking, “Is that the guy Donny just massaged on air?”



6. During the show, the other guests are watching the taping in the green room. When the Blender Guys were putting together the final ingredients to blend, we all kept cheering to add a bottle of glue. The glue didn’t make the final very cool mixture. Still, I think it was funny that everyone kept yelling at the monitor, “Put in the glue!”



7. Donny and I were wearing very similar suits. Our shirt color schemes were also the same (we were both working the purple). I pointed this out during my interview. I am pretty sure Donny had no idea what I was talking about. I am not sure why I am bringing this up now. Actually, I have no idea why I used valuable national air time to discuss our similar tastes in clothes.



8. I do want to thank the wonderful staff of The Big Idea. Thank you for all of your help, support and advice. And, thank you for making me feel comfortable and welcome. It was a pleasure working with everyone.


To read the rest of the blog (which includes an article about dealing with "grumpy" people at work) go to the CNBC blog and hit the link for the jump:


No comments: